EVA’s Tips: Lighting for Virtual Meetings
You don’t need expensive cameras and lighting to host a professional virtual meeting. Allow your meeting attendees to focus on the content rather than being distracted by the faulty production quality. Lighting is one key area where speakers and panelists can make a difference in streaming quality. Here are a few tips from EVA’s virtual meeting producers to help improve lighting in meetings and conferences.
Fastest Way to Improve Lighting
- Avoid a cloudy appearance. Fingerprints can easily dirty a camera lens. Use a microfiber cloth to clean the lens of your webcam or laptop camera.
- Maximize natural lighting. Indirect sunlight through a window provides you with natural lighting. Direct sunlight will be too harsh and will show every blemish. Find out when the sun rises and sets.
- Diffuse natural light with sheer curtains. Too much light will give you a washed-out look. Control the amount of light coming into the room with sheers.
- Face the window. Lighting focused in front of you will minimize unflattering shadows under your eyes and nose. Lighting coming from behind you will create a sunny background but leave you in the dark leaving your face unseen.
Purchased Solutions for Lighting
If you don’t have access to natural light, there are many lighting options available to enhance how you appear in your virtual meeting.
- Ring lights are popular solutions and can vary in cost. Attached to your monitor, webcam, or self-standing, ring lights offer you additional lighting that lights up your face as well as your background. Many ring lights come with different settings that allow you to adjust the lighting temperature and intensity based on your needs. Here are a few articles we found helpful:
- The Best Ring Lights [Source: Wirecutter]
- Top Best Ring Lights of 2021[Source: CNN Underscored]
- Best Ring Light in 2021: Beautiful Lighting for Vlogging, Video Calls and Selfies [Source: Digital Camera World]
- Daylight LED bulbs are the most budget-friendly purchase lighting options. Replace bulbs in your overhead lights and desk lamps with Daylight LED bulbs. Daylight LED bulbs provide warm and bright lights improving your video conferencing stream.
These lighting options can be used with any virtual meeting platform including Zoom Meeting, Zoom Webinar, Goto Meeting, Google Meet, and Skype
Lighting can make a difference in how you appear on virtual streams and recordings. The above tips are just a few easy ways you can change your lighting for virtual meetings.